Saturday 28 May: Let’s have a conversation with a stranger.

• Emma S says:

I find talking to strangers difficult, although I do it everyday in work as a nurse, often getting people to reveal deep and personal aspects of themselves at a first meeting. In the afternoon I was waiting at a bus stop on Ullet Road. The man waiting with me was frustrated when a bus sailed past despite him being stood in the road with arm outstretched. He said he was going to miss his coach to London. He seemed nice, and I thought, this was an opportunity for a conversation! I asked him if he wanted to share a taxi. He thanked me but said he rather save his pennies. Then I ran out of things to say, and he turned away to send a text. Why do I do that?

• Laurence Sidorczuk says:

Not exactly a converasation but I passed a couple of Rasta guys in Lodge Lane around lunchtime. They smiled as I walked past so I said “Yah Man” to them both in my best Carribean. One of the guys laughed and replied “I’m exceedingly well, thank you very much” in perfect English. We all had a good laugh.

• Laurence says:

Sam and I met with Daniel today. He tried to chat to a few people walking by. No great success, but then he had a good long chat with a lady at the bus stop. Daniel was telling us about how he feels that people don’t mind speaking when they have time to waste, but if they are going somewhere, nothing can stop them. We need to enjoy these in between moments, when things like that can take place….

• Caroline Tiernan says:

I spoke to a lady in the supermarket about how old her little boy was. Later on that evening I spoke to a few strangers in the pub as I quite often do. One bloke who I spoke to noticed that a friend of mine was upset and asked me about her. I told him that she was going through a bit of a bad patch. Later on he came over to our table with a packet of crisps and some jelly babies, this really cheered her up. So I managed to witness someone performing a random act of kindness.

• Martin Powell says:

Stood in a queue by a cash machine a piece of paper flew past in the wind. Someone else noticed it and picked it up then realised it was a folded up £5 note. There was then a strange conversation with for quite a long time everyone denying it was theirs.

• maxine critchley says:

this was an easy task for me, im always talking to strangers. my mum says a stranger is a friend you havent yet met. i like that.
    i was in the new co op thinking how expensive it is compared to neto and iceland where i usually shop. the lady next to me was buying tea bags and i commented how expensive they were when she said ” ah but they help others “. she was talking about free trade shopping. her tolley was full of organic and free range produce, whereas mine was own brands and 2 for 1 ‘s. we both had bread, tea bags and spagetti but her bill was probably £3 more than mine. i shop with out a conscious and thought for the familys who work so hard for buttons she said. she really made me think, and question myself.

• Jay Mitton says:

Sainsbury’s Basics teabags 27p for 80 and Fairtrade to boot! That surprised me.

• Samantha Davies says:

I work for a agency as a support worker so when I’m working I’m always somewhere different,anyway on this day i was sent to a lovely little block of apartments to help support some people with mental health problems so today i spoke to not one but 8 complete strangers and every single one of those people were a pleasure to talk to,we all ended up in the one apartment sitting and drinking cups of tea and watching the soaps together it was lovely and i really enjoyed my day :-)

• Dee Ng says:

I am getting out of synch with my Coincidence tasks!
    Recent conversation went:
    Me: “Is this the end of the queue?”
    Stranger: ” ok”
    Not very exciting!
    But yesterday! ah…yesterday! I had a great conversation with an archeologist from the British Museum. The best thing that came out of our talk was, tho he’d been working in his field for many years, he loved it and knew how lucky he was to be doing it. Not many people can say that!

• Amanda Earley says:

Today we visited the Sakoon cafe started up conversation with owner. He told me that Sakoon meant peace.

• Tracy O'Connor says:

Brilliant! Thanks for that Amanda, they do great sausage and egg toasties in there. I’ve often wondered what it meant but never actually thought to ask!

• Tracy O'Connor says:

Thanks to an unfortunate drink and dancefloor related injury I sustained last night, a large portion of my day was spent with strangers who were entertained by, or sympathetic towards my self-inflicted injuries; the two cabbies who transported me to and from the hospital, the young receptionist who took my details, the two nurses who assessed me, a radiologist, the two doctors who treated me and the young man in Subway who gave me some consolatory extra cheese on my sandwich.

No major damage was done, just a dent to my dignity and a tear to my shoulder ligaments which makes typing a blog tricky, as do the painkillers.

Until tomorrow…

• jennie says:

in that very same charity shop where i bought the mug tree (is it cheating to carry over to the next day?) the radio was on and the song spirit in the Sky by dr. and the medics started playing. My sister sylvia says that song reminds her of me, dancing in a club in Leeds in our teens.I overheard two ladies talking.”Maud wants this played in her funeral”.
    I joined in the conversation saying what a good choice of song for a funeral and that I think I’ll have that one too.When I came home I told Andrew (at last I’ve found my funeral song) he shook his head and said “but you won’t hear it, you’ll be dead”. I’m still singing the song now.

• Anne says:

I was doing some shopping today and I was looking at finger puppets for my niece’s birthday, when a man looked at me trying them on my fingers and smiled. So I started to talk to him. He used to love finger puppets when he was young! We both left with a smile on our face.

• Claire says:

This morning I spoke with the substitute of my Pilates teacher: she has smiled all the lesson.I said to her : thank you , I liked your lesson very well !

• ian b says:

I’m travelling to Norwich later so lots of opportunities probably to have conversations with strangers…..

• Laurence says:

One day, I took the bus to town and an older lady sat next to me. She started saying hello and chatting to me, and then told me the story of when she nearly died… Then she said buy with a huge smile, stopped at the next stop, and disappeared. It felt a bit like a dream…. I’ll remember that probably all my life!