Day 2 – Let’s all take a different route…

Hello everyone! Thanks for the great response yesterday, and for the comments on the website. Today, let’s all take a new route (for example take a different turn, drive or walk in a street you don’t know or don’t usually use. Let us know what you notice or come across, and post pictures if you can). Thanks you to the pupils at All Saints Primary for creating this action, changing the way we move around, and making us (re)discover new places near home.

• Poppy says:

While reading today’s instruction, it reminded me of being a child, taking my push bike out and spending hours taking different routes.
    It wasn’t until the afternoon that I was able to throw myself into this task.
    When I took Bob my dog out for his walk we turned left at the bottom of the steps. I always turn right at the bottom of the steps and go the park where I am quite well known. So this was a little adventure for us. We ended up walking along the edge of an housing estate by the express way.
    Bob loved it, he was like a big kid, running about sniffing the path tool by other dogs.
    A different path will be something me and Bob will be doing again.

• Carly says:

A new route: a trip to the market
    fish for the animals
    meat not for the freezer.
    First I walked along the canal with Jane noticing how tranquil the water is yet opposite a derelict building full of graffiti.
    Onto the Brindley where we saw some canoes which is an unusual site. Down the market for cat fish.
    On the way home Jane showed me old grove house doctors, and a shortcut alleyway home.

• Carly says:

Jane walking along the Brindley

• Jane says:

Good morning.
        Best foot forward, right turn, left turn.
        Walked into town pase the Waterloo pub, along the canal bank. How tranquil it looks on the opposite side. Shame about walkway tatty derilict building, nasty graffiti and litter to fill a mausoleum.
        Interesting to use alternative route.
        Good afternoon.
        2 steps forward, 2 steps back.
        About turn and start again.
        (change of scene)
        Planned doggy walk to the Town Hall, cheerful ducks on the canal. park a peaceful heaven, have never exploded chinese garden, Halton paired with tongling in China. News to me? Very interesting. Dogs approved, happy, waggy tails of appreciation.

• Laurence says:

Carly your pictures are absolutely beautiful, and Jane thanks for the best ever diary, full of delicate sketches!

• Iain says:

Great cat shot.

• Diane Harrison says:

Stopped en route to Nantwich with a friend in a cafe I’ve never been before. The assistant asked my maiden name as she remembered me from school in 1970! I’d never been to the cafe before, and she did not normally work Tuesday – a coincidence!
    I lost my badge so Laurence came to home with a replacement. Took photos in front garden. Seeing view with new eyes when lived here for 30 years!
    With new blue badge on show shopping at Balfor Street Co-op, no one comments. Must think it is just an interesting brooch!

• Susan says:

Describe a street or road you don’t know:

To the left side of the lane, there was a large red-bricked house with brown wooden window frames, with matching front door. there was a large garden, the drive had enough space for at least two cars. the gates were made of black metal.
    The trees along the lane were of different shades of green. As I turned the corner there were – on both sides – rows of bungalows, some dormer. they were off-white, paneled wood-fronted. Some had steep-steps, numbering seven. The front doors contained six panels of glass, some with patterns. All the bungalows had large garages, some with pointed roofs.
    Bins were lined-up outside the homes. One bin had a printed pattern, with a smiley face.

• Andrew Holt says:

I walked dawn a street randomly, nobody cared.

• Callum Woodward says:

Today I took a different route home and found it to be a bit nervous and I looked at everyone who walked past.

• All Saints Primary School says:

I don’t have another way to my house because I only just moved in! (Kailey)

• All Saints Primary School says:

With everybody going a different way it was getting very confused. (Ethan)

• All Saints Primary School says:

Me and my sister walked home from school today (Molly)

• All Saints Primary School says:

We went for a walk around the tables to go to our seats. I went round 10 times, I tripped and everyone laughted! (Reece)
    We walked to the playground near the fence. (Vanessa)
    I noticed a hill I hadn’t seen before. (Ethan)
    We don’t usually see ladybird on the pitch but we did today. We found a worm. (Vanessa and Malayna)
    I wondered where we were going. I saw a red brick. (Leo)
    I don’t think it’s a good idea because it makes me tired. (Pyper)

• All Saints Primary School says:

I am going to go home a different way, I will see new things. (William)

• Ocego says:

I know Runcorn like the back of my hand but went for a walk and took some photos of the long standng things along the canal…

• Kelly Dace says:

Wow todays action was great! I looked at text and thought ‘I know everywhere in Runcorn I can’t take a different direction and find something new’ I was very wrong!!! My daughter and I took a drive and came to Heath Road – we always go the park when it dawned on me I had never gone any further down this road. So off went on on an adventure! I cam across a pub I never knew existed in Runcorn (thought I knew them all!) and ended up in a part of Weston Village I never knew was there. Great fun!

• Karen Ripley says:

Lovely new grass where the workmen used to be…

• Karen Ripley says:

Had to go to the doctors yesterday, so took the opportunity to go a different way and see different things. There’s a street right next to me that I’ve never walked down- in 8 years of living here! Anyway, I wandered down the street and had a good nosey at the houses and what I could see through the windows. I also found myself on the market just as they were taking all the stalls down- never seen that before.
    The biggest change for me wasn’t s different route, it was something that’s changed on my normal route. The works entrance for the guys working on the bridge has gone.All the machinery has gone and today they finally took away the fences and re-turfed the grass where they’d been. It’s like it never happened after about a year of loud noise and dust. I wont miss them for sure.
    I also thought I saw some students with blue badges opposite my house taking pictures earlier. Maybe it was a different route for them. What a coincidence.

• Iain says:

now there’s a coincidence. I watched the stalls being taken down too, took some pics.

• Laurence says:

The blue badges are out! it is funny to know that you were both in the same place at the same time, but mustn’t have been facing each other and missed the ‘dot’!

• Julia says:

wow! That IS a coincidence!! My daughter and I were at the dentist on Church street between 2.30pm and 3pm. Both of us wearing our blue badges. We ALSO saw them taking down the stalls. Popped up the steps towards the co op and through the car park back to the car!!! Didn’t se anyone else with their blue badges!

• mike casey says:

hi what a day! After spending 5 hours in my clients garden sorting it out for her all on my tod desided to take a differant route home seen two little ladies (may be friends) having a good gossip on side of road by a corner shop haveing a good giggle.I stoped and whent in shop just to say good after noon to them and they both returned with a smile then just round corner a old man leaning up against a bus shelter looking lost and upset asked if he was ok ,; no the stupid #€¥x&^% bus didnt stop have to wait another 10 mins for the next one . Ow well at least its not raining. Then at three met up with Laurence and ambushed the rest of the family after i met abbie at school home time we went for a walk round the town took afew photos. at 6 o’clock took abbie with me and the dog down the canel for a walk instead of wotching cartoons on tv . seen a couple of people jogging and some one on his bike abbie was so chilled out i got some ice cream on way home she wonts to do it again every night. oow!

• Laurence says:

The walk by the canal and the ice cream sounds amazing! Thanks for the description of people you saw, happy giggly ladies and upset man…

• Iain Smith says:

things I saw….

• Iain Smith says:

things I saw…

• Laurence says:

So many planes in the sky of Runcorn… One of the child from All Saints absolutely loves planes. He lives in the right town!

• Iain Smith says:

things I saw ..

• Iain Smith says:

things I saw.

• Iain Smith says:

things I saw

• Julia Smati says:

Picked my daughter up from school to go to the dentist. We took a different route and chose to drive slowly through Morval Crescent and surrounding streets. My daughter had her notepad and pen and was jotting things down. We saw an elderly man sat on a bench outside his front door with his companion. An aged alsation faithfully sat by his side. Made me smile. An elderly lady pruning the hedges. I did wonder to myself if they were just passing time. Nothing else to do perhaps. It struck me how peacefully quiet the streets were. no traffic. The sun was shining and it was sooo calm. Then turned onto the main road and back to bedlam again :-) Didn’t see any blue badge wearers today either.

• Laurence says:

Sounds like a nice drift…. I hope you’ll see at least one blue badge tomorrow, they are around, but where?

• Iain says:

Had a great day, jsut by taking the one route I have never tried. Beautiful day with people enjoying the Prom. Took loads of photos of things I saw within
    hundred yards of high St. Things we miss when we walk in a hurry, things we don’t really look out for.

• G. Murray says:

today i walked down a new street thorne rd an in the 4 years i have lived in runcorn i can hoestly say i have never gone in that road whilst i walked down i noticed a little old lady in her window with a bunch of bright yellow daffidols an the lady smiled at me an waved so i smiled back i thought aww bless then i wondered to myself i hope she has visitors i hope she not on her own all the time an then i felt quite sad.

• Julia Smati says:

I had the same kind of feeling too. Felt quite sad in a way when I saw the man sat with his dog enjoying the sunshine. Made me think how many people there are in our town who are alone :-( I want a dog lol

• Iain says:

Yeah julia, there’san awful lot of people who
        live alone. Not all of them are lonely, but many are.
        But singles come in all shapes & sizes & ages.

• Laurence says:

Today, I asked Mike if I could take some pictures of him doing his action. So I met him at 3pm outside school, where he was picking his daughter up, then we met his older daughter and his wife who came out fresh from the hairdresser, and they all went on a little adventure… a few roads away!

• Louise says:

I’ve taken several different routes today as I’ve been driving to visit schools. I went all the way along Moorfield Road in Widnes where I’ve not driven before, through Castlefields and back through Halton Village to another school – lots of lovely old buildings – and then through Beechwood in Runcorn where there are loads of daffodils. I also saw sign posts for the cycle route I need to use as I’d like to try to cycle to work rather than drive.

• Iain says:

Well, today, for the first time in four years of livving at this address, I’m going to walk in the one direction
    I’ve never walked. Never had a reason before, so nowis a good time. I’ll take camera and publish any interesting ‘arty’ shots.

• Laurence says:

Ian going the other way.

• Iain says:

The photo showing the concrete wall doesn’t do the area justice! All around the other 300 degrees there
        were trees, The Mersey, grass seating for visitors to
        stop a relax.

• Laurence says:

I sent the second action this morning, sitting on a bench in the center if Liverpool. I was the only person being still. Everybody was walking on auto-pilot, focused on their destination rather than their journey, like we all do everyday…

• Iain says:

When you said you were the odd-one-out, being still
      at that time of the morning, made me think of other times we might look ‘odd’. Like we are used to seeing people standing still only in certain places, like a queue, or waiting to cross a road, but we look odd if stand totally at random like, facing a wall, or on the kerb with our back to the road etc.

• Julia Smati says:

I would love that as an action!! I would love to do something completely random to make people stare!!! I’m brave :-)

• Iain says:

Hi Julia,
          I love Laurence’s ‘I Thought it Was Real’ statue of a
          person pretending to be a statue.
          I’d like to try a ‘stillness’ that looks out of place, and see how many people notice how odd it is.
          Mind you, I often look like that anyway!