Day 6 – Lets’ create a new Runcorn delicacy…

Hello Team! Today, let’s create a new Runcorn Delicacy! (What do you think it should be?) You can use this simple fridge cake recipe as a base for your invention: break 150 g of chocolate of your choice into a bowl, add 100g of margarine or butter and melt in microwave. Mix in 200g of crunched biscuits and about 100g of dried fruits, or choc chips, marshmallows, sweets, etc… Flatten your mixture in a flat tray lined with cling film. Set in the fridge for 2 hours. Cut into squares, take  a picture and eat! Thank you to All Saints Church cooking group for the recipe!

• Carys says:

This is the recipe for the Chili Con Halton, which would make a good delicacy for the area because it is cheap to make, and it fills up a whole family.

You need:
    - some nice lean mince
    - 2 onions
    - 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
    - 1 tin of baked beans
    - some chili powder if you like it

Cook the mince and onion and drain the fat. Add salt and paper to taste. Add beans, tomatoes, chilli powder. If you have any leftovers vegetables, you can add them in. Leave on a low heat for about 30 minutes, let it all stuge. Serve with rice or better still with chips.

• Carly says:

I never baked a cake todaybut instead I did a nice home cooked meal:
    Gammon
    Chips
    Egg
    Pineapple
    Onions beer battered

• Susan says:

For my Runcorn delicacy I made a Maple Melt:
    Take several small pancakes (place layered)
    Pour maple syrup over them.
    Add warm slices dates.
    Add vanilla ice cream (on the top).
    Pour cream around the layered stack.
    Pour more maple syrup over the top.
    Crumble ‘Halva’ over the top.
    Serve warm.
    I photographed the finished dish:

• Diane says:

Memories of Runcorn delicacies…
    - Regent Street, used to deliver to my house in Heath Road when I was a child.
    - Johnson’s pies
    - Devonshire bakery when it was in old site.
    - Hamlett’s butchers by shoe shop.
    - El Cap coffee bar by baths
    - Sivorin Ice Cream in Weston
    - Penny Sweets at Bouton

Using suggested recipe, made a Runcorn Rocky road, very poor photo I apologise, was really rather sweet, not my finest how!

• Callum. says:

I followed the recipe and made the cake. It was nice!

• Sarah says:

I made a home made sponge cake and took some to my friend.

• Laurence says:

Iain in his kitchen.

• Roxane says:

blue icing sugar and a dried fruit on top, it’s like the Mersey with a boat going passed!

• Ocego says:

The new Runcorn delicacy should be my mum’s hotpot, she doea it every new years eve. It’s got potatoes, carrots, meat in it. It’s like Coronation Street’s Bettys hotpot, and my mum’s called Betty too! She always make a big pot of it and uses what we don’t eat to make a pie, BETTY HOTPOT PIE!

• Julia says:

Haa!! had fun today. My ingredients were Ginger nut biscuits, Mint poppets, Strawberry poppets, dairy milk and Crunchie!!!! VERYYYYYY FATTENING!!!! Had fun making it!!!! Had to do stocktake at work and shared it out. My boss refused and referred to my lovely cakes as “poo on a plate”….. nice lmao!!!

• Laurence says:

Comment by Francis Frith, about Runcorn:
    The town used to buzz along all the time – even later on in years – we had the best butchers, Princes in Regent St, Johnsons, also in Regent St with there NEVER TO BE BEATEN MEAT PIES (and sausages) and of course Sherwins, who then was next to Whittakers shoe shop. There was another one also in High Street I think, always used by the men on the tugs, near the Royal pub. All of them sold quality meat and were great characters to boot! I also remember the sawdust all over the floor – I used to love it!

Comment by a local resident I spoke to:
    Johnson’s mince pies have been passed on for 3 generation, but I don’t like the one’s from Monk’s baker as much, because even though he has the recipe, he can’t make the pastry exactly right.

• Ocego says:

My best friend was Steward Johnson, from the Jonhson’s pies family. He’s passed away at the age of 32, I go to his grave every Xmas.

• Andrew says:

I’m not great in the kitchen, so won’t do today’s task, but I think it could be a Runcorn Humbugs cake… or a black and white cake that looks like a humbug!

• Laurence says:

I’d love to taste a cake like this! Did the Runcorn humbugs look and taste different compared to other humbugs??

• Laurence says:

Ok, so this was my attempt, I’m sure we’ll get much better results from you!
    I managed to take the picture just before my boyfriend ate it all! I went for a very dark chocolate, ginger nut biscuit, orange peels and dried fruits… I think it’s a bit like Runcorn: people may not see it as sweet at first, but once they bite in it a few times, it becomes quite moorish!

• Laurence says:

After the Johnson’s pies and Runcorn Humbugs, what will be the next local delicacy? Let’s get creative!